- Cosmin Lambru lost hope of becoming a professional footballer when he lost his hand on a life threatening accident
- Lambru however defiled the odds when he made his professional debut for Romanian side Petrloul Ploiesti
- His team lost the match on penalty shootout
Romanian footballer Cosmin Lambru made his professional debut on Tuesday, October 24, roughly ten years on from losing his hand in a tragic accident.
Cosmin Lambru came off the bench in the 81st minute of Petrloul Ploiesti's cup clash at home to Mioveni, which the visitors won 4-3 on penalties, realising his dream of playing professionally a decade on from being hit by a truck when he was just eight years old.
Cosmin Lambru bought his prosthetic arm in Italy (Image: CEN/DigiSport1)
After initial fears that he would have to have most of his arm amputated, doctors were able to save most of the limb, before he set about starting a football career despite his obvious disadvantages.
Speaking to Romanian paper Daily Sports, he said: "We were coming home when a truck skidded and headed towards me,"
Romania teenager Cosmin Lambru makes professional debut with artificial hand
"I threw myself into the vehicle to try and get under it. I felt terrible pain but I was aware that I had been taken to hospital."
PAY ATTENTION: Get the latest Nigeria news on NAIJ.com mobile app
After rising through the ranks at his club, Lambru bought his prosthetic arm in Italy for what he describes as 'a lot of money', but he saw it as crucial in order to realise his dream.
Lambru (fourth from the right) lines up to watch the penalty shootout on his debut (Image: CEN/@official.fcpetrolu)
"When I returned to football, I started to learn new things and especially how to fall, just resting on one arm," Lambru told Romanian website sport.ro .
"It was not easy at all, but I did not cry and never do it. I'm not being cared for by anyone and I do not want to be.
Lambru came on as an 81st minute substitute (Image: CEN/DigiSport1)
"I have no fear of putting my foot on the ball, being attacked harder. That's just football, only for the strong ones.
"Life is a struggle that never ends."
Source: Sports.naij.com
from Latest Sport News | Today on Naij.com http://ift.tt/2iDgIZa
via IFTTT

No comments:
Post a Comment