- Ross Barkley joins Chelsea for a reported £15m fee
- He will wear the number 8 shirt at the London club
- Barkley says he is delighted to be given a fresh start
Chelsea have announced the signing of Ross Barkley from Everton for a reported £15m fee.
The London club announced that the 24-year-old has signed a five-and-a-half-year contract and will wear the number 8 shirt.
Ross Barkley officially joins the Blues from Everton. Photo: Chelseafc/Twitter
READ ALSO: Legendary Nigerian boxer Bash Alli honoured by Lagos state government
Upon signing for the Premier League champions, Barkley said: "I'm overwhelmed, I'm looking forward to it and I'm really excited to get started.
"To be given a fresh start at a new club like Chelsea, it's unbelievable for me. I'm looking forward to continuing where I left off at the end of last season and hoping to improve and add more goals to my game."
Barkley had already made 150 Premier League appearances for Everton, as well as being named in England squads for both the 2014 World Cup and 2016 European Championships.
Like the NAIJ.com Sport Facebook page for more breaking news and stats updates
His versatility ensures he can play just behind the striker, in a deeper midfield role or in an advanced wide position, with his ability to get on the ball and create chances one of the player’s biggest strengths.
A hamstring injury at the beginning of the current campaign has kept him out since August which means he is eligible to play for the Blues in all four competitions.
He almost joined the club last summer but decided against a move in the final hour of transfer deadline day.
Who will win the champions league? - on NAIJ.com TV;
Source: Sports.naija.ng
from Latest Sport News | Today on Naij.com http://ift.tt/2CyiQGs
via IFTTT

No comments:
Post a Comment