Header Ads

Monday, 3 September 2018

Former Man City star completes switch to top European club amid fans fanfare (photos)

- Yaya Toure was unveiled as an Olympiacos player at the Karaskaikis Stadium

- The former City midfielder was linked with various clubs in the summer

- Toure is looking forward to win more laurels with the club after 12 years absence

Former Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure was hailed on arrival in Olympiakos by hundreds of fans as he reunited with the Greek Super League side 12 years after leaving.

The 35-year-old former African footballer of the year winner was unveiled at the Karaskaikis Stadium on Sunday as the home side thrashed Giannena 5-0 in a Greek Super League tie.

Toure has been a free agent since Premier League champions City refused extending his contract in the summer and has been linked with a return to Olympiakos in recent weeks.

READ ALSO: Hazard claims Sarri’s style completely different from Conte and Mourinho’s approach

Olympiakos took to the social media to reveal pictures of his reception and later posted two messages reading “Welcome home Yaya Toure” and “#YayaIsBack”, accompanied by pictures of the midfielder in their red and white striped kit.

The Ivorian spent the 2005-06 season with Olympiakos, helping them claim league and cup double, before heading to Monaco as well as successful spells at Barcelona and Manchester City.

At the last count, Toure claimed two Spanish and three English league titles, the 2008-09 Champions League silverware, a Copa del Rey with Barcelona alongside an FA Cup and two League Cups with Manchester City.

The Ivorian also had the privilege to over 100 international caps for the Elephants and captained the West African nation to continental glory at the African Nations Cup in 2015.

Olympiakos will compete in this season’s Europa League after beating Burnley 4-2 on aggregate in the play-off round.

Reacting on his switch to Olympiakos, the Ivorian hinted that he had offers from across the world, but opted to return to Greece.

“It is an honour to be back at Olympiakos,” he said on his official website.

“When I left in 2006 I said I would come back and I am delighted to keep my word. I had offers from lots of clubs across Europe, Asia and the USA. Ultimately, I made my decision based on the special relationship I have with this incredible club.

PAY ATTENTION: Become a member of the leading sports Facebook group 'Naija Football Fan Zone'

“I am as hungry for success now as I was when I first arrived here many years ago and I cannot wait to help the club win the trophies the great fans of Olympiakos deserve.

“It is now time to let my football do the talking once again. Let’s do this!”

Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously had reported that former Manchester City ace Yaya Toure is nearing a return to Greek giants Olympiakos.

According to a UK Mirror report, Toure's agent disclosed on Tuesday night that the midfielder had already passed the mandatory medical test in London, sparking rumours the Ivorian ace was joining a London-based Premier League club as a free agent.

However, Toure has agreed to return to familiar terrain at Olympiakos, the club he first joined in 2005 and had the honour to claim the double before switching to Ligue 1 giants Monaco after the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

Football Transfers That Shocked The World | Naij.com TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng



from Nigeria News today & Breaking news ▷ Read Naija news 24/7 https://ift.tt/2Ndogzs
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top