Header Ads

Tuesday, 20 February 2018

I’ve no intention of defecting to APC - Former governor Aliyu Babangida

- A former governor of Niger state has denied plans to join the All Progressives Congress

- Babangida Aliyu said the Peoples Democratic Party is a strong party

- He said the party is working round the clock to right all its wrong

A former governor of Niger state, Aliyu Babangida, has debunked claims that he has intentions of defecting to the ruling party, All Progressives Congress (APC).

Babangida, a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Monday, February 19, said he would not decamp to the ruing party.

While speaking on the defection of over 34,000 politicians including Aminu Yusuf, a former deputy chairman of PDP in Niger state, Babangida said he strongly believes in his party.

READ ALSO: How my husband was sidelined after APC won 2015 election - Oluremi Tinubu

“I have no intention of defecting to the APC because I believe in the PDP. I had the opportunity of decamping to the APC when I led the G-7 Governors but did not do so because of my belief in the PDP.," Babangida said.

"What we protested then was to correct some of the abnormality in PDP but not to defect to the APC. If I were a selfish politician then, I would have defected to the APC then.

Maybe I would have become a minister now,’’ he said.

READ ALSO: Boko Haram launches deadly attack on government girls secondary school in Yobe

Describing PDP as a strong political party, Babangida said the party lost 2015 election due to internal wrangling.

He said the PDP has started working toward correcting the wrongs at the various levels.

Babangida speaking on recent crisis between herders and farmers advised the government to establish cattle ranches where necessary and carry the stakeholders along in order to avoid misunderstanding that would result in more clashes.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

In an earlier report by NAIJ.com, about 76,845 PDP members decamped to APC in Niger and Adamawa states.

Some of the defectors said they decided to join the APC because of the successes recorded by the present administration in fighting corruption and Boko Haram menace.

Welcoming the defectors, the Niger state governor, Abubakar Sani Bello, assurred members of the party in the state that the APC will do better than it has done in 2019.

The governor said this is possible considering the experience and pedigree of the defectors received by the party.

2019 reelection bid: Should President Buhari heed Obasanjo's advice? Street Gist - on NAIJ.com TV

Source: Naija.ng



from Nigeria News today & Breaking news ▷ Read Nigerian newspapers 24/7 http://ift.tt/2C8jWMO
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top