Header Ads

Thursday, 8 March 2018

I gave Ezekiel his breakfast at 7:15 am, picked his corpse at 9.45 am - Guardian of school boy killed by BRT

- The family of a 16-year old boy who was killed by a Bus Rapid Transit has narrated their ordeal

- Dr. and Mrs. Oyesanya said they fed Daniel Ezekiel at 7.15 am on Monday, March 5, only to pick his corpse after two hours

- They called on the state government to construct a pedestrian bring in the area where Ezekiel had been killed to ease road crossing for school children

The guardian to a 16-year-old pupil killed by a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Ogolonto Bus Stop, Lagos has narrated how Daniel Ezekiel died.

Dr. and Mrs. Olajide Oyesanya narrating their ordeal said they are yet to come to terms with the gruesome death of Ezekiel.

Mrs. Oyesanya said she woke on Tuesday, March 6, morning expecting to hear a knock on her door from Ezekiel but was disappointed after she remembered the little boy was killed by a BRT bus driver the previous day.

Speaking on how Ezekiel became part of their family, the grieving woman said the little boy was brought from Kaduna to stay with her and her husband since all their children were grown and had left the house.

READ ALSO: Anyone fighting him is fighting God - Okorocha speaks on son in-law's governorship ambition in Imo

Vanguard reports that the Oyesanya family said they never believed sending Ezekiel to school would become their greatest regret.

“We are only two in this house, my husband and I.

Since we are getting old and all our children are grown up, we thought it will be nice to have a small child that can keep us company. So we contacted a lady in our community to help us find someone to stay with us.

“They eventually helped us to get Ezekiel from the Northern part of the country; that was around August last year. Our initial plan was to enroll him in school by October this year but due to the fact that it was late to do so, we decided to enroll him in January this year, a decision I now regret.

I gave Ezekiel his breakfast at 7:15 am, picked his corpse 9.45 am - Guardian of boy killed by BRT

Young Daniel Ezekiel was killed by a BRT bus in Lagos on Monday. Photo credit: Vanguard

“He was 15 years when they brought him to us, and they told us that he was in JSS3 in Kaduna State before he came to Lagos. But when we took him to school, they told us that he should start from Primary Four," Mrs. Oyesanya said amid tears.

READ ALSO: How we will selected presidential candidate for 2019 - Northern elders

Mrs. Oyesanya said she had given the little boy his breakfast at 7.15 am only to be asked to identify his corpse at 9.45 am in a hospital in Lagos.

She said Ezekiel was in high spirit when he left the house for school on Monday, March 5, before he was crushed to death and his head decapitated from the effect of the accident.

Mrs. Oyesanya said: “But we didn’t know that was the last time we will see him."

“We fed Ezekiel at 7.15 am but picked up his corpse two hours later, at about 9.45 am.”

She said they had enrolled Ezekiel in school last January and he had always taken his breakfast by 7.15 am before proceeding to school at 7.20 am.

“And on that fateful day, he left home to school. But I was alerted of the incident that happened by someone who told me to find out if Ezekiel was safe. Immediately I started calling his teacher, but she refused to pick my call. I thought they were on assembly ground so I called the school director who also didn’t pick my calls.

“At that moment, I knew there was a problem. I was confused and my husband also called to inform me to proceed to his school. On my way, someone told me that Ezekiel had been rushed to Ikorodu General Hospital.

“When I got to the hospital premises, I was told to identify the lifeless body of Ezekiel; at that moment, I knew I had lost our dear child. I couldn’t believe my eyes that the child I fed at exactly 7:15am had become a corpse for me to pick at exactly 9.45 am,” Mrs. Oyesanya lamented.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

The Onyesanya's further called on the Lagos state government to construct a pedestrian bridge to immortalise Ezekiel and also serve the purpose of preventing a reoccurence of such tragic incident.

NAIJ.com earlier reported that some residents of Ikorodu area of Lagos had blocked the road in protest of the killing of Ezekiel on Monday, March 5.

The protest left many commuters on the road stranded as bonfire was made and the residents prevented an ambulance from taken away the boy's body from the scene of the incident.

However, more tragedy was prevented in the area as operatives of the police Rapid Response Team dispersed the crowd who had insisted that the boy's parent get to scene first.

House on the Rock in Abuja goes up in flames - on NAIJ.com TV

Source: Naija.ng



from Nigeria News today & Breaking news ▷ Read Nigerian newspapers 24/7 http://ift.tt/2DboyO4
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top