Header Ads

Saturday, 10 March 2018

Polls re-ordering: Must Buhari and NASS fight over everything? by Buchi Obichie (OPINION)

Editors’ note: The writer, Buchi Obichie, wonders why the executive and legislative arms of government always have fight over issues. She highlights the recent issue of the re-ordering of the sequence of the 2019 polls, and ends by questioning why it would be such a huge deal for both sides, as to whose election comes first, if indeed they are really committed to credible elections.

When I was younger, I used to have frequent clashes with my immediate elder brother. Being that he is just as stubborn and hard-headed as I am, we would pick issues with each other over every single thing!

I remember one time he put up a roster in the upstairs parlor, outlining what times people could enter the place. See, that was his territory – as he was charged with keeping it clean – so he figured that he could be a little Ceaser and make his own laws there!

Well, if he was determined to be Ceaser, I made up my mind that I would match him and become a Cleopatra as well. This was because I knew the roster was targeted at me; since no one else seemed to follow it.

So, what did I do? I hit back with my own roster - for my mom’s room!

READ ALSO: Kaduna Saga: El-Rufai, Sani, Hunkuyi and the fine art of political comedy by Buchi Obichie (Opinion)

Since that was my own area – in addition to the kitchen – I outlined when people could come in there. And I went one step further. I directed that all my siblings had to take their flip-flops off at the door, and could not sit on the bed!

As you can imagine, the new laws did not go down well; and after a few shouting matches – we never physically fought – my mother had to step in and cancel both laws, since she was the final authority!

My siblings and I don’t fight much these days – thank God. We actually have a very close-knit relationship now and look out for each other fiercely. I guess it’s because we have all grown up…or maybe because we are no longer enclosed in the same space! LOL!

Anyway, I wish our executive and legislative arms of government would also just grow up and stop bickering so much!

So, a very long time now, it has been one fight after another; and it seems like the rest of us can’t catch a breather.

The presidency has clashed with the upper and lower legislative chambers over everything from Magu to budgets; and now, the sequence of elections.

The Senate and House of Reps have put forth an amendment to Section 25 of the Electoral Act, 2010, which would see the National Assembly elections holding first, before elections into the state Houses of Assembly and governorship on a separate day, while the presidential election would be conducted last to complete the general election cycle.

Well, this did not go down well with the presidency; and Buhari has so far refused to sign the Electoral Act Amendment Bill.

The argument is that the lawmakers would have an unfair advantage to influence the presidential and state elections if they are allowed to go first.

On the part of the lawmakers, they also argue that the state governors and the president would also be able to influence the legislative elections if the original sequence put forth by INEC is allowed to hold sway.

So, both sides have employed a tit-for-tat approach with each other; with the presidency holding off on signing, and the legislature stating their readiness to override any presidential veto of the bill once the 30-day time frame has elapsed.

Again, the rest of us are caught up in this impasse!

This recent fight just shows - once again - that our leaders are not concerned with the welfare of the masses; but with their own positions, and would do whatever it takes to perpetuate themselves in power!

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Politics at the highest levels in Nigeria has now become a constant power-struggle between both arms of government; with both constantly trying to show to the world that its jurisdiction cannot be encroached by the other.

But the separation of powers as outlined by the Constitution is not being respected in its spirit; because even though each arm of government was carved out to also serve as a means of placing checks and balances on the other in order to prevent the abuse of power, this current fight – and the others – is not being waged in the interest of the nation (or its other citizens), but in the interest of ‘those involved’.

We are a nation ruled by men acting like little children, and I wish they would just grow up already! Or do they need a ‘final authority’ like my mum to step in and put an end to this madness? Oh, I forgot…these people themselves are the final authorities!

In the end, I guess my question is this: “If both sides are committed to free and fair elections as they claim, should it really matter which election holds first...or last?”

This opinion piece was written by Buchi Obichie.

The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not necessarily represent the editorial policy of NAIJ.com.

Naija lawmakers overreact - on NAIJ.com TV:

Source: Naija.ng



from Nigeria News today & Breaking news ▷ Read Nigerian newspapers 24/7 http://ift.tt/2tArvIy
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top