Header Ads

Monday, 3 September 2018

Manchester United reveal how they failed to sign Atletico Madrid star at the eleventh hour

- Manchester United narrowly missed out on signing Diego Godin

- The Uruguayan international was poised for a move to Old Trafford

- The 32-year-old center-back has renewed his contract with Atletico Madrid

Premier League giants Manchester United had to cancel a deadline day private jet after Diego Godin turned them down, according to reports.

Jose Mourinho was hoping to sign the Atletico Madrid star to bolster his defence in a race against time deal.

United's Portuguese manager who was desperate for a centre-back after moves for Toby Alderweireld, Jerome Boateng and Harry Maguire failed, had triggered Godin's £18million release clause.

According to the Daily Mirror, the Old Trafford outfit chartered a private jet to fetch Godin from holiday in Sardinia to Manchester for a medical.

READ ALSO: Zlatko Dalic slams Ronaldo for snubbing UEFA award ceremony

But the Uruguayan turned down the move and was said to have signed a new deal with Atletico - worth £130,000-a-week and United had to cancel the private jet.

The Red Devils are furious with Godin, who they believe used them to get a bumper new deal at the Wanda Metropolitano.

United had apparently been given assurances that the rugged 32-year-old defender had been keen to move to Old Trafford, before the late U-turn.

Godin later claimed he did not sign a new deal and snubbed a move to Manchester for "personal reasons".

He said last month: "I have not renewed.

"I have had offers, although I have decided to stay for personal reasons and I am only thinking about the final.

"But I have not extended my contract. I saw that news came out but I do not know where it came from."

PAY ATTENTION: Become a member of the leading sports Facebook group 'Naija Football Fan Zone'

Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had earlier reported that Manchester United defeated Burnley by 2-0 at Turf Moor in a Premier League fixture.

Two first half goals from Romelu Lukaku was all Jose Mourinho's side needed to gain all three points over Sean Dyche's men.

Leo Messi at 31: What Is Really Happening In The Payer’s Life Right Now | Naij.com TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng



from Nigeria News today & Breaking news ▷ Read Naija news 24/7 https://ift.tt/2wDHcOb
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top